Thursday, June 14, 2012

Irish birthdays are the best

Yesterday was Ruby's seventh birthday and I have to say the Irish know how to do it right.  Ruby is having a party on Sunday with some of her classmates, but last night Ciara and Dave had a party for her at their home with their extended family.  Ciara and Dave both come from big families and there were about 8 cousins ranging in age from 11 weeks to 7 years old.  The house was a rompa room!  Ciara and her sister-in-law made enough chicken and egg salad sandwiches to feed an army.  I thought they were making so much because both the kids and the adults would be eating them... boy was I wrong!  For Irish birthdays, the children eat nothing but sugar!  The kids table was set with bowls upon bowls of different candies, cupcakes, and other sweets.  Oh and potato crisps (not chips!).  All of the kids stuffed their faces with sugar and no parent seemed to mind!  I didn't see one child eat a sandwich all night.  There were obviously no complaints from the children about this!  After Ruby opened her presents all of the kids went outside to play.  The adults then ate their fill of sandwiches and enjoyed a few drinks.  I had my first Bulmers, which is an Irish cider, and it was delicious!
Irish Cider!

After playing outside the kids came back in to cut the cake.  Yes thats right, more sugar!  I was amazed they were able to stomach it all.  After the cake, the family started to leave slowly.  Finally, it was just Fiona (Dave's sister) and her family left.  After the girls went to bed the adults (and Sam Fiona's 2 year old) stayed late chatting.  I feel so lucky to be living with such a wonderful family.  I've been welcomed not only by Dave and Ciara, but their extended family as well.  I would definitely say that the Irish know how to do birthdays!  I know I would have loved to celebrate that way as a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment