Monday, April 29, 2013

Dear Ireland: Its not goodbye, its see you later

My bags are packed, my flight is checked into, and in a little less than 24 hours I'll be taking my last transatlantic flight for awhile (or at least the next 6-12 months).  In the past 10 months, I've walked on the Giant's Causeway, taken a very cramped lift ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower, ridden the London Eye, stared in wonder at the beauty that is La Sagrada Família, and explored the most amazing German towns I could have ever imagined.

A year a half ago I overheard someone in my class talking about au pairing and I immediately thought it was the best idea I had ever heard.  Two weeks later, I met and fell in love with the Kennedys and I never looked back.  I had to get a passport specifically for this journey (that's right my first time out of the country was to live abroad for year!) and undergo the process of getting a visa.  Now, 10 months later I'm returning home with 5 different stamps in my passport and I don't think I've ever been more proud of myself. 

I've always wanted to get out of my hometown, out of North Carolina, out of America, and I did it!  This time hasn't always been the time of my life, some months were very, very hard to be away from home.  I've never been one to suffer from homesickness until this year.  My freshmen year of college I unpacked my things, waved goodbye to Mom and Dad and didn't really go back home until Christmas break.  Living out of the country, I've gained a lot of perspective on what home means to me and how much I truly appreciate where I come from (I still have no desire to move back to Sherrills Ford, lets not push our luck here...).  

There are so many people who I could individually thank for their support during this time (but I'm trying to keep this short and sweet!).

To the Kennedys: You have truly given me a home away from home.  I will be forever thankful that you allowed me to come into your family and giving me a wonderful au pair experience.  I can't believe I'm leaving now but I can't wait to see the girls grow up over the years!

To my fellow au pairs: I have been so blessed to not only experience the Irish culture but to get a glimpse into every one of your cultures as well!  You have all provided me with an ear to listen, a place to stay in another country, a traveling buddy, and many memories.

To my own friends and family at home:  I would never be here if it wasn't for all of you.  Your support both before and during my time in Ireland has been priceless, especially those of you who came to ring in the New Year with me or listened on the phone when I needed a piece of home the most! (And those who helped me with flight funds, thanks Mom and Dad!)

And finally, to Ireland: Thank you for taking me in and giving me a wonderful place to call home.  I was a bit skeptical before I came but now I know its true: You ARE the most friendly and hospitable country in the world!  And the greenest.

I didn't know what to expect when I got to Stamullen ten and a half months ago but it became very clear in that first day that I'd be leaving a part of my heart behind when I left. Luckily, its in the hands of three beautiful girls.






3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful fairwell story. I'm glad you had such a great experience, but I also am ready for you to be home. Love you, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's been practically a year!! I so enjoyed keeping up with your travels! I hope you have a safe journey home and good luck on your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet girl...the Kennedys will forever feel your presence!

    ReplyDelete