Thursday, July 12, 2012

One Month and Counting!

Today I have officially been in Ireland for an entire month!  Honestly, the time has really flown by.  I don't think I've ever had this many new experiences occur all at once!

This past weekend I went on a walking tour of Dublin.  It was four hours long and I was exhausted when it was over but I definitely think it was worth it.  I saw a lot of great landmarks in the city and I know it will help me find my way around in the future.  I also saw a lot of places that I can't wait to go back to and explore further.  I have already added to my Irish to-do list!  Here are a few of the great places I saw:
,
Entry to the State Apartments at Dublin Castle.  Bill Clinton stayed here!


Lady Justice looking over the upper yard at Dublin Castle

This turret at Dublin Castle was originally built in 1204

Dublin Castle Gardens

Carriage House at Dublin Castle

Former Irish Parliament building that is now owned by Bank of Ireland.

View of O'Connelly Street with the spire in the background

Bell tower at Trinity College. It's rumored that if you walk through the tower you will fail every course for that semester!

Graduate building at Trinity College

The old library building at Trinity College. I can't wait to go back and see the Book of Kells which is in this building!

Current Irish Government Building
Yesterday, I had to go into Dublin to register with the Garda office.  Basically, I had to pay more money to get an ID card which I will carry with me for the next year.  It looks like a license and has my nationality, entry date into Ireland, exit date, and some other information.  The good news is I am officially a legal alien for the next year!

Tonight I went to the pub in Stamullen with the other two au pairs in the neighborhood, Natàlia and Ioana.  They have also just arrived in the past month.  Natàlia is working with the family that Mercè was working for and I really enjoyed meeting her.  We may even go into Dublin this weekend so I can show her around.  It's so strange to think that I am now the "experienced" au pair in town.  What a difference a month can make!

No comments:

Post a Comment